previous page next page

(i) Social Security

As long as you have been married for at least (10) years, you are entitled to receive derivative benefits from your spouse's Social Security - whether or not you were employed.

For example, an unmarried woman can receive retirement or disability benefits if she is sixty-two or older; but even if she is less than sixty-two, she can receive benefits if her ex-husband is receiving retirement benefits and she has been divorced for at least two (2) years. If her ex-husband dies, she can receive benefits at sixty, or over the age of fifty if she is disabled, provided she is unmarried or, as long as her children are under sixteen and entitled to benefits.

If a woman remarries, she can continue to receive her ex-husband's benefits if the remarriage is after age sixty, or after age fifty if she is disabled. She can also elect to take the benefit of her new husband's Social Security if it is larger than her own benefit.

A woman should remember that if she remarries, her Social Security records should reflect her new name. To do this, she should fill out an application and present proof of identity under her old and new names at a local Social Security office.

To receive a statement of earnings credited to you or your ex-spouse's Social Security record, fill out a form at the Social Security office, or have your ex-spouse fill one out, and mail it, with your correct name and Social Security number to:

Social Security Administration

Department of Health and Human Services

Baltimore, MD 21235

(800) 772-1213

Once the amount of earnings is determined, a call to your local Social Security office will determine the amount of monthly payment you will be entitled to.